The holiday season is here, and shoppers are eager to drop serious dollars on wish lists they’ve drooled over all year. With Christmas and Hanukkah right around the corner, now is the time to step up your holiday email marketing strategy to bring in more dollars than ever before.
Here are just a few stats that will give you some insight into the 2016 holiday shopping season:
- 92% of holiday shoppers buy online.
- $850 is the average holiday spend per shopper.
- On average, each shopper spends around $380 on Black Friday.
- 27.3% of orders are driven by email marketing on Black Friday.
- According to the National Retail Federation, the projected growth for this year’s holiday sales is 3.6% as opposed to the 7-year average of 3.4%.
- The projected increase of non-store sales for this year’s holiday season is 7 – 10%.
It’s clear that revenue potential is high this year, especially online, and you’re missing out on a piece of the pie if you aren’t using email marketing as a promotional tactic.
How to Stay Visible, Relevant & Compelling with Your Holiday Emails
Keeping offers fresh, driving sales, and staying in front of holiday buyers without turning them off or driving them to unsubscribe is a delicate balance.
To stay on your subscribers’ “must-open” list, it’s good to mix in a bit of value, exclusivity and ways to save. Here are some ways you can accomplish this successfully:
- Showcase exclusive deals, sales, and offers, including early bird offers, free shipping, weekend sales, and special announcements. Don’t overdo it, but make sure they have the information they need.
- Spread some holiday cheer with local and online events like holiday party ideas, freebies, donations, customer showcases, and more. This is a way to provide value instead of focusing on selling
- Offer rewards and incentives to loyal customers and new customers for referrals. Incentives can be big drivers of more sales.
- Send reminders and follow-ups regarding deadlines, deliveries, behavior-based actions, etc. We’re all busy and could use a reminder every once in a while.
If you incorporate a good mix of this information into your holiday emails, then your subscribers are sure to put you on their nice list this year. Remember: think of your relationship with your subscriber base as a courtship instead of a one-off pitch; it takes time to develop and can be very rewarding if you invest into it.
How to Make Your Emails Sway & Sell
Now that you know what to include in your emails, here are a few things you should keep in mind on how to optimize them:
- Write and design with mobile in mind. If your subscribers can’t read the email on a mobile device, then they won’t buy from you.
- Appeal to emotional triggers with value and messaging.
- Blend email and social; make sure it’s easy to share the promotions you provide in email marketing so others can enjoy the savings (unless they’re exclusive).
- Segment users effectively for more targeted campaigns!
- Highlight shipping terms and options, which are critical during the holiday season.
- For the love of all the candy canes, keep your lists clean! This is so, so important. If your list isn’t clean, then your emails won’t get delivered. This means that you won’t get in front of your subscribers and could potentially lose out on a ton of money.
- Prioritize your calls to action and repeat them throughout the email.
- Measure your efforts, refine them as needed, then repeat.
The Ultimate Holiday Email Marketing Guide
Want to learn more about how to make the most out of your holiday email marketing this season? You’re in luck. We’ve collected and curated all of the best stats, tips, and recommendations for holiday emails and created the Ultimate Holiday Email Marketing Guide for your viewing pleasure. Check out all of the best tips and tricks in the infographic below.
The best part? If you want to clean your list to make it squeaky clean for all of the holiday sends, you can do it for absolutely free using our tool. All you have to do is sign up.
Have a great holiday season and to a profitable year!